CIE Clean Technology Seminar - April
CIE Clean Technology Seminar:
Tuesday April 14, 2015
Place: ITRI International, 2870 Zanker Road, Suite 140, San Jose, CA
Time: 7-9PM, Registration starts at 6:30PM
“Clean Technology 2015 Report: Recent Trends and Latest Developments” by Dr. William Kao
In this talk Dr. Kao will present the most recent Clean Technology trends and the latest developments in all areas of clean technology including:
1. Solar: solar farms. solar with energy storage, updraft towers, solar plane, dangers of solar flux, solar efficiency
2. Wind: new blades, turbine upgrades in Altamont pass, investments by Google
3. Bio Energy with carbon capture and storage
4. Marine: Wave and Tidal energy, deep green kite, dynamic tidal power
5. Nuclear: waste disposal, status of Yucca Mountain (Nevada), workforce problem
6. Renewable Energy education, degree
7. Energy Storage: batteries (lithium ion and beyond, Mg, H), batteries for residential market, hybridization
8. Green cars: iCar, Apple vs A123 lawsuit
9. Top Clean Tech trends of 2015, E-Waste, recent Clean Tech Investments by Apple and Google.
Dr. William Kao received his BSEE, MSEE and PhD from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He worked in the Semiconductor and Electronic Design Automation industries for more than 30 years holding several senior and executive engineering management positions at Texas Instruments, Xerox Corporation, Cadence Design Systems.
Dr. Kao has authored more than 40 technical papers on semiconductor design in IEEE Journals and Conferences, and holds eight US software and IC design patents. He was an Adjunct Professor at UCLA Electrical Engineering Department where he taught courses in computer aided IC design.
Dr. Kao is a Senior Member of IEEE, and was one of the founding members of IEEE-Circuits and Systems - Silicon Valley Chapter, where he was Chapter Chair in 2005 and 2006.
Dr. Kao currently teaches Renewable Energy, Clean Technology and Business Sustainability courses at the University of California Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley Extension. He is a consultant for several Clean Tech and VC companies in Silicon Valley, and a Clean Technology consultant for the Chinese Government, for the Taiwan Ministry of Science and Technology, and for the Malaysian Government on new Emerging Technologies.
Between 2009-2015 Dr. Kao has authored and presented more than 45 talks, seminars, and short courses on the subjects of Clean Technology, Renewable Energy, Business Sustainability, and other Emerging Technologies such as Big Data, Cloud Computing, Robotics, Internet of Things and 3D Printing.
Aside from technology Dr. Kao also gives frequent lectures on interdisciplinary education, interpersonal skills, stock investments, green MBA, and Chinese philosophy .